Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of AV-640

To: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of AV-640
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:02:19 -0400
Gregg

I use an AV-640. The feedpoint box is 7 ft above ground. Any closer and the
tips of the droopy radials get close to the ground and that is not
recommended.

It stands out in the open on a tilt over base, similar to the one GAP sells.

I worked recently into D64K Comoros Island and into 9M4SLL Spratly Island on
30 meters with it. Both approx 9,000 miles from here in different
directions.

I also have a full 1/2 wave vertical on 40 and the two antennas perform
equally well .

Mounting it at a shed or house will be tricky. Especially when you have to
raise and lower it to make the tuning adjustments. That is why I use the
tilt over base. The antenna is easily walked down once the retaining pin is
removed on the base.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com