[TowerTalk] tower trucking

To: Bill Gaines <ad8p@wcoil.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower trucking
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:04:25 -0700
Your local upscale rental yard will have several alternative forklifts
available for unloading, which is your responsibility.

"warehouse" forkifts will only work on a good paved surface.

"pneumatic tire" forklifts will work on a firm gravel surface

"rough terrain" will work most anywhere not muddy, but many of these are
"reach trucks/lifts" and you need maneuvering room for a 15 to 20'
boom.  They can reach out with loads up to 35' or so, which might be of
helpful.

even the smallest model will have enough capacity.  Consider what you
need to get to the tower base right after unloading.

some have used tow trucks for unloading, that might work ok if they can
handle the height of the flatbed deck.  Or a friend with a decent size
(3/4 yard bucket and up) frontloader/backhoe and some slings.

I've used 4 or 5 different rental yards when I need something other than
my own pneumatic tire forklifts, and none have asked for insurance
binders for this equipment (some will for really big stuff if you aren't
a business), so if you have a good credit card, no hassles to rent
them.  The delivery guys have always been willing to give me the basic
how to run it instructions.

about $250 to $400 per day depending on how big plus delivery ($80 to
$150 round trip).  Sundays are usually free if you rent Sat-Mon.

Use slings noosed around the forks and basketed around all sections
spaced at the balance point.  Don't lift with the forks under the
tower.  Steel on steel is very slippery.

Or hire a rigger, but most of them have equipment that will only work on
a paved surface.

Grant KZ1W