Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, "W1JCW" <W1JCW@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 19:51:13 -0400
These DXE and HiZ systems are fundamentally one band systems due to the length of the phasing lines. However, my ham friend N4NN claims that he hears very well with the HiZ on 80 and 40 with it, but does not benefit from the exceptional noise cancelling on those bands due to the length of the phasing lines.

The short antenna elements and preamp systems are what separate these systems from standard 4 SQ TX systems. It has been proven that you do not need resonant elements, but 20 to 24 ft elements are enough on the HiZ and 108 inches on the DXE.

I know of nobody who has compared these 2 side by side.

There are other systems like the Waller Flag which apparently receive well. N4IS has one and he works the DX on 160. If the propagation is there, he hears it and works it.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
60 Meters www.60metersonline.net