Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Sq array Dx or Hi Z
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:58:18 -0400
If the current preamps are the same as the ones I purchased several years ago,
this is not true. There are jumper blocks that allow one to insert various L
and C
combinations for various freq ranges but it is not required. I measured my
preamps
on a VNA and found that putting a jumper in the L1MF position (220uH and 1000
Ohms)
from the input to ground increased the gain across 160m by approx 7 db. It
caused a
faster rolloff through the BC band and gain above 160m dropped off to normal for 80m.
I found the supplied 108in whips to have inadequate pickup on 160m and made 4
20ft elements out of old beam parts. With the longer elements, I no longer needed the
L1MF jumper in place.

Both the DXE and HiZ 4 square RX arrays use "crossfire phasing" as described by
W8JI on his site. This phasing method allows a unidirectional pattern over a
large
frequency range.

I also have the HiZ 8 circle array which IS a single band array. It will receive over a
large frequency range but the pattern is not optimum.

Comparing the two arrays on Top Band was interesting. The 8 circle definitely
hears
better due to the narrower beamwidth but this is also it's Achilles heel. Signals off the side of the selected azimuth are often not heard unless strong. I usually use the 4 sq for searching for that reason. I have recently put up a 500ft Beverage and it sometimes
hears better. I believe this to be due to it's having a higher angle pattern.

The old idea that you can't have too many antennas on 160m is true!!

73, Roger