Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:49:42 -0700

I'm certainly no expert on lightning, but I thought that that idea you could avoid lightning strikes by dissipating static from the clouds above had been debunked as nonsense years ago. A lightning rod may offer some protection to the structure by being the most attractive target for a strike, but I doubt that it significantly reduces the probability of a strike. Most likely other members of this list are far more knowledgeable on that than I am.

The bottom line, though, is that just because you've never had a problem it doesn't mean that your system is properly engineered to avoid one. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but we hear the same thing from hams who put up 60 feet of Rohn 25 without guying it ...

73,
Dave   AB7E