[TowerTalk] Measuring 75 ohm coax loss with 50 ohm MFJ 259B?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring 75 ohm coax loss with 50 ohm MFJ 259B?
From: Rob Katz <rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:59:48 -0400
I¹m debugging some coax runs to my beverage antennas, and I suspect water
ingress in some sections.  I¹m thinking that I can measure the coax loss in
the sections of coax (a couple sections for each feed) to find any bad
sections.

What is the effect of using the MFJ 259B (for 50 ohm loads) on my 75 ohm
coax?  For my current problem, I just need a relative test to determine any
bad sections, but is there a way to calibrate the readings to get an
accurate absolute measurement?

I know the MFJ 269 can be set for 75 ohms, but I have the 259 which is fixed
for 50 ohms.

Thanks for your help!

73,
   Rob K4OV