Re: [TowerTalk] Choice of aluminum

To: r_bakalov@yahoo.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Choice of aluminum
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:36:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Rudy, 6061-T6 aluminum has a yield strength rating the same as 6063-T832
 that is sold by Texas Towers and others.

The 6061-T6 costs more than 6063-T832 because of the extra
heating/quenching steps needed to reach the rated yield strength. 6063-T832
reaches the
rated yield strength by work hardening the material in the drawing  process.

If you want a self supporting vertical, then you would need to go through
the same process as designing a 80 meter beam element with most of the
material  weight left out of the calculations. Just as a guess I would expect
the
bottom  section to be about 4" diameter with a .25" wall.

This is not a trivial structure! Please proceed with caution!

If you want a guyed vertical, there are a number of them that have been on
the air long enough to think about duplicating one. W5UN is one that comes
to  mind.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/13/2012 4:09:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,