Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:15:04 -0700
On 10/16/2012 7:08 AM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
According to our landmark on-the-air tribander  test, the Mosley PRO
antennas underperformed the competition. In one case, it  even had negative gain
on one band. I'd suggest any antenna over a Mosley.

I bought the fine reports that documented the tri-bander tests and the vertical tests. It should be noted that the tests described were examples of classic good engineering practice, rigorously done in a very well controlled setup, and carefully documented. N0AX and K7LXC were the fine engineers who did the work.

I would place FAR more value on these tests than on ANY anecdotal reports of on-air performance involving propagation, no matter how much DX the guy worked. The reason is simple -- propagation varies widely with time, and the effects of propagation overwhelm (by at least 30dB) the relatively small differences between one antenna and another (6 dB or so).

73, Jim K9YC