Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:00:32 -0400
On 10/17/2012 12:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 10/16/2012 11:53 AM, Bill Winkis wrote:
What did the wise old "Elmer" say ...Son, put 1/3 of your money into a
tower, a third into the antennas, and a thirds into the radio and
peripheral's

Don't forget another third into studying<:-)) Unfortunately at my age I'm running out of time for much studying.

I'm a firm believer in what you say, but I'd add make it a big tower, big antenna system, and big rig. Just make sure you know how to use it all...PROPERLY<:-))

I'd allocate at least $300 for a decent library of technical books on
radio and electronics, at least $200 of which is about antennas and

With a year in engineering and a 4 year degree in CS with minors in Math and Art I think I have sufficiently invested in the library.

transmission lines, and then spend lots of TIME studying them. Part of
that "library" ought to include antenna modeling software like EZNEC.
Most hams have limited cash, but throw lots of dollars at the wrong
things because they don't understand the science.  As the old saying
goes, "if you think education is expensive, consider the cost of
ignorance." :)

All I have to do is look at Washington to be reminded!

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Jim K9YC