Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Testing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Testing
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:08:23 -0400
On 10/17/2012 4:11 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 10/17/12 7:51 AM, Big Don wrote:
Sorry, that was 30 or so Alzheimerized years ago.  The question
*today* is
how do you get some good comparison antenna data without buying into an
antenna range, and procuring-setting up all the antennas to test.  The
trailered reference antenna method could do a worthwhile job if, as you
imply, comparable QTH and tower height were considered in selecting
already-installed antennas to compare.

The reference antenna doesn't need to be a particularly high performance
one: just one with very "knowable" performance.

All it has to do is put our a known signal that is at least strong enough to allow you make reliable measurements at both nodes and nulls.

I used to do certification measurements every Monday morning to make sure we weren't radiating on frequencies where we shouldn't be. That was with an old Singermetrics boat anchor and small loop antenna. When I say "boat anchor" that thing was heavy enough to hold a pretty good sized boat! <:-))

The degree didn't do a lot for the hours I had to work, but at least I didn't have to lift near as much weight and then I could get some one else to do the heavy lifting.

73

Roger (K8RI)

  You could use a
"electrically short dipole", for instance, suspended from a balloon or
kite, which might be easier than a portable tower trailer.