Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belts/Harnass

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belts/Harnass
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:31:35 -0700
Nice tread hyjack!

Dino - KX6D

-------- Original Message --------
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, November 19, 2012 12:44 am
To: towertalk@contesting.com

On 11/19/2012 2:04 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> A friend had PVC pipe fragments migrating out of his face for years
> after a rupture of the PVC pipe these gadgets are made from. His
> "event" was a potato cannon failure, but there isn't much difference
> when the pressure gets to 80psi. PVC doesn't show on an x-ray.
>
> PVC piping is an ABSOLUTE NO-NO in commercial compressed air systems
> since minor damage can escalate into ruptures and high energy flying
> slivers and fragments. Thus, having one's face right next to the
> pressure storage tank is a very bad idea. Handling damage can be
> concealed, cold is bad since the plastic gets brittle and heat is bad
> because the pressure rating is significantly reduced.
>
> Making one from sch 80 PVC pipe is probably safer, since the pressure
> ratings are much higher, the fittings much stronger, and the supplier
> probably not the cheapest the big box can buy, what the forklift driver
> probably dropped or the customer walked on. Another idea might be to
> fiberglass wrap the tank (with a PVC compatible resin) as a "shatter
> shield". Good solvent gluing is extremely important as a 4" PVC cap on
> a pressure tank at 80psi has about 1000 lbs of force on it.
>
> Beyond "no safety warranty" as Roger notes, PVC launchers are the
> ultimate in caveat emptor. As a friend used to say about his Winchester
> 458 magnum rifle - "kills at one end and maims at the other".

And the ones I've seen used combustion which probably hit far higher
than 80 PSI peak. OTOH I'd trust them farther than some of those with
pressure tanks<:-)) Bout as safe as throwing the antenna over a power
line. (I've read that has actually happened.)

I've wanted a 50 Baret M82 for years. Too big and heavy to carry deer
hunting, probably topple the tree the stand is in, and it'd blow out all

the windows. (hunt in comfort with heat and fresh coffee.) Each year the

kids seem to add a bit of home><:-)) It's actually not that worse if any

than the 458, although if you can afford a custom Lapua (Al' Pu ah) in
the Baret it's tame compared to a conventional 458.

A bit off topic but I figured a few might appreciate the educational
aspects.
Here's a shot of a little practice with the M82 50 (watch out for line
wrap)
Kind of a different way to look at target shooting.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.spearfishingplanet.com/attachments/general-off-topic/19520d1269171043-barrett-50-sniper-rifle-put-smile-your-face-303171_pm-jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.spearfishingplanet.com/general-off-topic/18137-barrett-50-sniper-rifle-put-smile-your-face.html&h=275&w=484&sz=144&tbnid=hjOtjFoDW9grZM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=132&zoom=1&usg=__XPbJhyj9K2R6zk5ssZrUL_gr3g4=&docid=u51lyWX8PNyGdM&sa=X&ei=de6pUIjBJa-60AGYmoDACg&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBA&dur=4812

Never believe wiki. They call it shoulder mounted. Try that and stay
upright.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> Grant KZ1W
>

> On 11/18/2012 8:57 PM, K8RI wrote:
>> On 11/18/2012 11:08 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't it great... ! noTHING like hams supporting the hobby through
>>> small
>>> businesses... I just got a pneumatic tennis ball wire antenna
>>> launcher... no
>>> tree top can beat this thing, haha. 80lbs = 200ft ASL
>>
>> These can be built for a couple of bucks that weigh less than 10#
>> Google is your friend. Check potato gun or tennis ball gun.
>> or just tennis ball/hair spray will bring up lots of instructions.
>>
>> Remember these things do not come with a safety warranty.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Roger (K8RI)
>>

>>> 73,
>>> Dave