Re: [TowerTalk] Elementary Rx protection question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elementary Rx protection question
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:09:03 -0500
On 1/13/2013 4:11 PM, Bruce Jungwirth wrote:
Pete,
I'm not sure if the diodes would degrade or not. Back in the 60's Drake used
a small incandescent bulb across the receive ant input to absorb high
amounts of RF. I had a TR3 & didn't notice any problems.

I believe that "neon" lamp was to bleed static electricity and voltage from nearby lightning strikes off to prevent damage. Of course the input to those tube circuits was a very high impedance and had a high breakdown voltage even if the circuit was 50 ohms at the coax.

The reverse breakdown voltage of the diodes is certainly high enough as 0.7V would be a lot of signal unless your neighbor is Jim <:-)) OTOH I do not know how much leakage the junction would present on the ham bands.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

Bruce K0SON