Re: [TowerTalk] Refitting existing concrete base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Refitting existing concrete base
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:48:54 -0600
You need to go to the required lengths to ensure the new work is well attached to the old concrete. Drilling holes and doweling is a common practice. Use a large powerful hammer drill and carbide masonry bits. I prefer to drill into the existing concrete at say 10-15 degrees or more from square and in different directions of lean for the different dowels. This makes it harder for the dowels to pull out than if they were all parallel to each other.

Thin caps (thin slab of concrete poured over the original concrete) are to be avoided as they often do not bond well and under stress will detach. An electric demo hammer (small electric jack hammer) can ne used to take off several inches of the original concrete surface. "Real" jack hammers are quite a handful weighing in at about 100 lbs but if you are young, spry, strong, and not terribly bright you can get the job done faster (or hire it done.) You then form up the new concrete pour. Weld plates sufficiently heavy duty for the loads expected can be placed in the new pour and then later welded to to attach tower mounting hardware. I'd consider a single large HD steel weld plate considerably larger in width and length than the footprint of the tower with several "J" bolts ("J" shaped rebar works well.)

Drilling the added concrete and epoxying in bolts would not be my personal first choice. My personal first choice due to my experience (and lack thereof in some situations) is to lay out my ideas with sketches and submit them to a close personal friend who has a masters degree in mechanical engineering from UCLA and over 35 years hands-on experience. He sanity checks my ideas and sometimes suggests alternatives.

I don't loan him out so I recommend you run any ideas you intend to incorporate by a PE. The most dangerous time for us is when we don't know that we don't know. Sometimes I resemble that remark but with luck I am usually smart enough to get appropriate help. I also have a friend with 35 plus years in antenna design. They both consult with me when I do non standard things such as putting a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical on top of my metal barn with no radials and no concrete base.

Any $ saved by not getting some pro advice will pale in comparison to the potential losses if you have a mechanical failure.

Best of luck to you and share with us what your approach turns out to be.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jack Berry