[TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:07:55 -0800
I?ve never run anything through conduit before.

I have a 100 foot long 3? conduit between house and tower, and in that
conduit I hope to run two ½? coax cables, three 3-wire ROMEX cables carrying
24V for three different rotators, two 8-conductor (CAT-5 like) cables for an
antenna switch, and three two-wire cables for the rotator position
indicators.  It?s a good-sized bundle.  There are no 110 AC power lines in
the bundle.

I think I need to pull all this at once, with lubricant, and include a
length of pulling rope or tape in the bundle for ?next time?.   I believe
that I want to pull these through all at once  in order to avoid risk of
damage to cables already installed.

What?s the right sort of lubricant for this?   What quantity should I buy?

I have some light nylon ?fish? cord that I think I can pull through with a
small wadded up plastic bag and a shop-vac.  After I have that pulled
through, I assume I attach it to a hefty pull cord. What sort of pull cord
should I be shopping for?

Any tips on tying the ?bundle? to the cord so that I have a smooth thing to
pull?  I have Kellums Grips suitable for ½? coax, but not for anything else.
Is this a ?pulling eye??

I presume I want one person on each end that can communicate, one to feed a
smoothed bundle in one end while the other pulls.

Should I tape the whole bundle together every few feet?

Thanks,

Dick, K6KR