Re: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 02:59:20 -0500
My thoughts on pulling cable.

I've been pulling gables through conduit for many years and a lot of it was in industry. That goes back to around 1963 or 50 years, yet there are a number on here that know more about it than I do.

For one thing electricians will sometimes fill a conduit and then add a bunch more. I've seen electricians lined along a run of conduit, beating on it with hammers ever 5 or 10 feet to get the wires through.

I hope no one tries that with coax.

"Rule of thumb" is try to no more than half fill any run.
Use lots of cable, or wire pulling soap.
put a pull line in every run.
Make that line long enough so it can be used again/pulled back
Do not use standard rope, or any single braid with a twist.
use double braided rope. It's relatively smooth and will not twist the cables plus it's relatively cheap Be careful with Nylon rope. It ca burn it's way into the inside of curves in vinyl conduit if not thoroughly soaped if it goes through more than a couple of sweeps be sure to soap the pulling rope
Use lots of cable pulling soap.
Do not tape the cables together except at the pulling end. If you ever have to replace one, you will regret it.

Look at the last photo on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm  for an example

1stagger the ends and tape then thoroughly to give a gradual tape
Use lots of cable pulling soap
use a pair of sweep 45s instead of a single 90
If it's a long run, pull it in sections.

I'm sure I've forgotten some
and be sure to use lots of cable pulling soap.

BTW the slime I've purchased from Lowe's has turned into a dry soap eventually and has caused no problems...yet..

73  Roger (K8RI)