Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit

To: K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 01:06:44 +0000
> Just atmospheric and temp changes cause the conduit to breathe.
> Trying to seal the conduit will almost guarantee moisture
> condensation.

That's right it WILL condensate inside.

> I leave the conduit open on both ends, except one end is in the
> basement
> and the other in a large NEMA box.

I did that at first, then MOLD began to grow in the underground plastic
pipe (conduit).  I cured that issue by installing Tee fittings at both
ends
of the 200ft run, placing the Tee part so that it won't collect
moisture and yet allow air to flow in or out.  I have the
Tees screened to keep out the critters.

Having the pipe "open" to the air at BOTH ends allows air
to circulate in the pipe and helps keep it dry.  The ends where
the cables exit are stuffed with removable closed cell foam...
no need for any air to flow in/out there.

Plastic conduit or metal conduit...both of those will condensate.

> The conduit can breayh freely
> which
> helps get rid of moisture and prevents it from becoming trapped.

Absolutely!

> > If it was very deep it might not condense but it has to bring
> cables to
> > the surface into an area where the ground temps vary.

> If the conduit is below the air temp, you will get condensation.

You said it best.

Again, it WILL condensate.

73,
Charlie, N0TT