Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:55:31 -0600

Lets see if I followed the gist of the thread...

If a conduit with no water in it is hermetically sealed it will promote condensation.

Conduits should be left open so they can dry out.

Sealed conduits will breathe with changes in temp and barometric pressure and thus admit moisture.

...and so on and so forth...

I'm still wondering how a conduit properly installed and sealed admits more and more moisture over time. Ideas? (Porosity of PVC increased by electromagnetic forces, intervention by space aliens, or what?)

I can't help going back to the question of how PVC pipe that can hold over 100 PSI successfully without any leaks, when partially filled with cables, can't withstand changes in ambient pressure rarely reaching or exceeding 5PSI. Max swings in barometric pressure from high pressure weather phenomena to lows of cyclones shouldn't exceed this level much if at all. Excluding critters and sealing the end of the conduit can be as simple as drilling nicely fitting holes in an inexpensive PVC pipe cap to let the wires exit and sealing the wire/hole interstices with silicone rubber or Excel. If you want to go to Herculean lengths then bulkhead feed through fittings with rubber stoppers of compression sealing design will surpass the requirements.

Patrick AF5CK