Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Thrust bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Thrust bearings
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 08:24:36 -0800
On 3/1/13 7:52 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
What about using the rear axle (or half) of a car (or truck)? At least the
strength would be there and some water-proofing too.

You've just described how many horse hot-walkers are made...
http://www.hotwalkers.com/4_horse.shtml

you have to either weld the opposite axle fixed, or weld the axle to the spider and just use the ring/pinion. Not all rear ends will work on edge.. the gear oil leaks out along the downhill axle. In an antenna application, the rotation rate and load is so low, you could probably just grease it up and it would last forever, even with the sliding tooth contact. In the hot walker application, they cut the axle tube off on one side along and weld the stub of the axle to a plate which is welded onto the tube.

This is a cutting torch and gas welder in the barn with scrap metal sort of fabrication project. I'm sure the gear oil catches fire a couple times in the process, it probably reeks to high heaven (unburned gear oil is bad enough). You also weld some brackets onto the differential housing to allow you to bolt it to whatever.

The last one I had to fool with actually used a manual transmission as the reduction gearing from the vbelt pulley to the motor.