Re: [TowerTalk] Relatively large tower base install questions

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relatively large tower base install questions
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:06:39 -0600
Pete, John, and Mickey... No crane required just a couple days steady work for two guys and easier work if I get a third person as far as dismantling goes. I don't have a swimming pool per se but I do have 12 ponds most of them stocked with fish. I have worked out the process for the take down and it is not such a big deal just methodical thoughtful work with attention to safety like keeping the climbing harness attached to something that isn't going down imminently. Trailer handles 10,000 lbs and I estimate the weight under 3000. Even if I were off by a factor of 2 there is no problem. It is 120 ft of 4 1/2 inch tubing, i.e. 6 each 20 footers and a bunch of channel iron X braces. One question that made me go hmmmm was if my welding trailer (has the air compressor for running the impact wrenches) can straddle the 6 pieces of tubing loaded on the trailer. I think it will which saves me a 2+ hour round trip to fetch the welding trailer. I will take it to the site on the HD car hauler/utility trailer to save a round trip.

Yes, it should be clear I am not easily deterred by general from the hip comments. I say again, this is not my first rodeo. I got the same sort of comments when I moved one of my all steel barns (37 X 73 X 18 feet) a quarter mile across a pasture to have it in a more convenient location. My Hy-Gain Hy-Tower is on top of it now with no radials but great performance. That too was the basis of all sorts of negative comments before it was finished. Must have radials, can't install it with DIY all steel base, and no concrete and on and on. Insurance? You betcha, plenty. I have a a farm and ranch policy that covers the homeowners aspects and an umbrella liability policy etc.

I'm a quarter of a mile from my nearest neighbor. The tower will meet all code requirements structurally and electrically (auto raise and lower plus lights for night time use of the platform and the refrigerator plus the grill has rotisserie.

Delusional? They haven't been able to commit me so far and with my meds in relatively good balance they never will. Ibll post progress pix. Maybe we should start a pool and bet on what sort of delays will occur, accidents that will happen, injuries that will be sustained and all other dire prognostications.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thanks for all the "off the reflector" supportive messages and reassure everyone sending that they may remain anonymous so far as I am concerned. The humor of some has been a terrific comic relief punctuating the receipt of some of these "on reflector" messages.

I will just stay the course and post progress pix along the way. I recall the one comment, "The difficult you do easily, the impossible takes a little longer."

Best of 73 to you all,

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Pete Smith N4ZR