[TowerTalk] Large Tower Base

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Large Tower Base
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 21:33:12 -0500
Lots of wasted bandwidth here!
Patrick is obviously one of the very few among us with knowhow and resources to
get outside the box!
Until you work in a few fab yards and around a few drilling derricks, you don’t
really understand possible!
With all his gear, raising this spindly little base will be a snap!
I’d agree, however, that the proposed foundation piers sound a little small.
With all that gear, he should be able to just yank the old ones out by the
flanges and reuse them.
We know nothing of his soil, but drilling about 8’ of 2-3’ hole and planting
the old piers in them, surrounded by concrete, might just do it!
Positioning will be the hard part, so assembling the lower tower section and
using it to locate the piers seems a good idea.
I think sitting up there with a cool one and watching the sunset over the
Kansas plain will be a hoot...just be sure there’s a handrail on that staircase!
Please get those pictures out asap, Patrick!
Wilson
W4BOH