Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-689 Sheave replacement

To: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-689 Sheave replacement
From: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:06:49 -0700
I have replaced the bearings on myTX472. Two bearing places in Spokane said
that there is no replacement available with the correct ID and OD.. They
could supply a bearing with the correct OD but the ID would be too large.
They did have a bronze sleeve bearing with exactly the correct OD and ID to
fill the space between the thru bolt and the available bearing. It was
relatively easy to change the bearings and stake the edge of the sheave.

Dan, N5AR

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM, <gdaught6@stanford.edu> wrote:

> > If you heat a bearing to the flash point of the grease, you've
> > probably
> > already destroyed the bearing.
>
> There's no way I can turn the handle on my crank-up fast enough to even
> warm the
> grease!
>
> 73,
>
> George T Daughters, K6GT