Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:57:12 -0700
On 3/29/13 8:44 AM, Charles Gallo wrote:
Which was why I talked about a 12v buss. Picture all your rotors, antenna
switches, etc all run on one 12 v buss. 2 wires (or 3 if we are talking about
1wire buss) and you attach to the 12v, and contol goes via the buss, the same
way they are doing in cars now. Power is a buss, there is a data buss, and the
items listen for a message to them

I would not necessarily use 12V.. the resistance is an issue, so the voltage at the load changes with the current. It's the variation that's the problem, not necessarily the drop (which you could handle by just jacking up the voltage at the source).

There's two strategies I've used:
1) 24 or 48V and DC/DC converters (lots of bricks available, but not all are good for RFI.). Treat the supply as a constant current source and use wide input range converters. Typical converters have a 1:2 or 1:3 range (e.g. 12-36 V)

2) send a isolated, GFI 120V AC..

Isolation transformer and suitable fusing/circuit breakers.

Then you have 120V-12V power supplies up there, linear or switcher as you see fit.