Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons

To: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons
From: Crownhaven <crownhaven@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:56:45 -0500
Oversimplification on my part. I guess for most ops this might apply. I have a high and low antenna for that reason. You're right.

Steve, N4JQQ

On 4/14/2013 12:41 PM, Jay Kesterson K0GU wrote:
The 617-6B is a very old design. If you look at the manual is is dated 9/91. It was designed before antennas were computer modeled. More boom usually means more gain *IF* you have enough elements to produce that gain. At 33 feet plus of boom the 617-6B needed another element. There are one or two newer designs for the 617-6B out on the internet that include a 7th element.

If you believe modeling, which I do, the 6M7 is indeed a better antenna. Both gain wise and front to back. IMO it is no contest unless you want to mod the 617-6B with an extra element. The 6M7 is a better antenna than the stock 617-6B and has about 2/3 the wind load.

As for 6m Es being either open or closed and any antenna will work I beg to differ.
http://www.qrz.com/db/K0GU
Just like any band or mode you can do things with gain that are not possible otherwise.

73,  Jay  K0GU