Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:56:04 -0400
For initial learning purposes, I think it's best to leave out the ground dependencies.

"I just downloaded EZNEC and am not good with it at all."

From that, I gathered he was just starting out with no prior experience.
That's why the EZNEC "backyard dipole" example (in free space) is a great learning tool. After that, place the dipole above real ground at say...30 feet. *Then* move on to verticals.

Anyone jumping right in to the antenna they have in mind in order to learn NEC is going to get discouraged quickly. That happened to me and I didn't re-open NEC for several years. Had I just started with a ground-independent antenna and experimented with changes in frequency and dipole length to get a feel for complex Z changes, that would have given me a 5+ year head start.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: <john@kk9a.com>