[TowerTalk] WT 51

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WT 51
From: Kathy Bookmiller <wb2aio@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
First off, thanks for all the excellent replies to my problem. Lots of good
advice found here, but a little disappointed no one suggested training the
North facing owls to do the heavy lifting...
When I saw the tower Saturday, it was about at freezing with a 50mph wind
blowing grapple in my face so maybe I missed an obvious solution, OR a raising
fixture is sitting behind the barn or in it.

Planning on going out and taking another look tomorrow if I can. Maybe I'll get
lucky and find the raising fixture behind the barn, or in it.

This the way I want to go. 40 years ago, when we were all young, walking one up
or down was just the way we did it. I had a W51 that I moved 3 times before it
died. Probably in the archives you might find that tale, of the elements going
through the next door neighbors roof when it came down.

I'm kind of doing this as a "good works" to save it from going to a scrap.
Can't put it up at present QTH anyway, would just stash it away till the time I
move to an area that allows towers. Actually mine is pretty reasonable-OK, as
long as they can fall withing property lines and they won't listen to the falls
upon itself argument, it's been tried by others to no avail. With a 46'wide
lot, I could put it up but never raise it. Since my current EX14 is at 50'by
putting it on a 10'roof tower, a 23'high antenna isn't the right direction to
go:)

Sell off the rotator and antenna to cover my cost, and then stash the tower
till the day it can go up.

I'll keep TT informed as it plays out,
73,
Kathy, W2NK