Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51

To: wb2aio@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kathy,

The WT-51 (http://www.tashtowers.com/pdf/WT-51_info.pdf and
http://www.tashtowers.com/pdf/WT51-01.pdf) weighs 355# and is 21' tall,
retracted.  I've seen/heard horror stories about folks trying to walk lighter
towers up/down by hand.

I know from personal experience that it's all I can/could handle to walk a 26'
tall aluminum mast up/down with a 3-element 15m yagi on top (and the rotator
was at the BOTTOM of the mast).  That tower is a lot more mass than my mast.

Yes, Moseley makes a TA34XL
(http://www.mosley-electronics.com/pages/amateur/ta34xl.htm) -- 4 elements on
20/15/10m with a 21' boom

I wouldn't let it just fall, even onto something soft -- you could still
wind-up with mangled metal.  I'd go for some form of mechanical/electrical
means of lowering it.  Can you use a falling derrick + winch?

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC