Re: [TowerTalk] How close to salt water is close enough?

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close to salt water is close enough?
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 20:39:14 +0100
There is a better way to use Coax-Seal, which the makers don't tell us
because it uses only a very small amount per connector.

The one good place to use Coax-Seal is to fill the small gap between the
flange of an SO-239 and the end of the connector ring. This gap is
usually where the water gets in, because it's impossible to pull the
tape tight enough to make a seal. But that doesn't mean you have to
cover the entire connector in black, messy goo.

Instead, use only a *small* amount of Coax-Seal to form an O-ring around
the bottom of the SO-239 (in the corner where the barrel meets the
flange). If you then screw the PL-259 hard down in the normal way, it
compresses the O-ring to make a very good water seal. Smooth it around
with a finger and then apply tape in the normal way. Self-amalgamating
tape bonds well with the Coax-Seal.

When the connector is removed, the only mess is right around the O-ring
that you made, and the rest of the plug and socket are completely clean.

This method has never let me down, and a single pack of Coax-Seal will
last for years.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Coax Seal