Re: [TowerTalk] How close to salt water is close enough?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close to salt water is close enough?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 21:37:38 -0400
On 5/18/2013 11:51 AM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

    Products like coax seal are worth using liberally  wherever it can be
applied if needed.

     Just make sure you never have to take it off. It's  the WORST stuff in
the world to get off of anything. You put in on a connector -  you have to
throw the connector away.

     Much better butyl rubber for this is just about  anything else; e.g. db
Products vapor wrap, the plumbing stuff you buy at the  hardware store.
etc.

     If you put a layer of electrical tape down first  and then put the Coax
Seal over it, you can actually get the CS off. Otherwise  use it at your
own risk. Your mileage won't vary.

OK, here's my secret, which I swore (to myself) to never reveal but it's now become necessary for unknown (to me) reasons:

This is the critical step: for the "courtesy wrap", use silicone tape.

Add on top any damn thing you wish - vinyl tape, butyl rubber and then vinyl, just about anything that will keep the UV off the silicone for the amount of time that you want the weatherproofing to last.

It's just plain magic. Slit the weatherproofing with a razor knife 15 years later, it just pops off revealing a shiny connector.

-Steve K8LX