[TowerTalk] Sealing PL-259s

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sealing PL-259s
From: Steve MIller <steven0sm@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
I'd like to suggest another method of sealing PL-259s - particularly when
connecting two PL-259s at a barrel connector.   The clear plastic warp called
Saran Wrap or Handi-Wrap (or a variety of other names) works very nicely.
With a strip of the clear plastic wrap,  completely wrap several layers
around the entire connection going beyond each end of the PL-259s.   With
plastic electricians' tape, start at one end and cover all of the clear plastic
wrap going slightly beyond the end of the wrap then go in the other
direction (where it began).   W0DIA and I have used this method for years.
When we found it necessary to open it,  we used a plastic utility knife.   The
connectors are always as shiny as they were when they were installed.   I live
in the midwest and while that works beautifully here, I'm  not sure how it
would perform in a coastal salt environment.   The plastic electricians tape
used is the inexpensive 99 cent
 a roll variety and has always held up well.   Cheap, effective, and simple to
use.

 Steve N0SM