Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:55:16 -0700
On 5/19/2013 12:09 PM, K8RI wrote:

BTW it's not a good idea to hang "N: type connectors vertically without a loop at the connector. The weight of the center conductor for a 100 foot run up the tower will slowly pull down on the center pin of the connector until it may make a poor connection. Manufacturers warn about this some where deep in the info sheet where most are unlikely to ever see it. This has caused many a difficult to find problem. In a run from the tower to a sloping dipole is another bad location for splices. Remember what strength those connectors are rated for. It ain't much!

I've seen that happen, Roger. Luckily it was in the shack at the end of a long run of 9913. I wouldn't use an N connector unless the center pin was captured by the connector body, especially with 9913 which is probably the absolute worst choice for cable when using a non-captive center conductor.

73, Mike W4EF................