Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

To: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 11:22:35 -0700
A "putty" product I found and like is from construction: Tacky Tape from Schnee-Morehead. It is a butyl self amalgamating tape which conforms like Coax-Seal but is easy to remove. I found it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/MOTORHOME-TRAILER-BUTYL-SEALANT-TACKY/dp/B007HRH35E/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1369073039&sr=8-14&keywords=tacky+tape

I also use Silicone dielectric grease from the local auto store on SO239 threads only so water has less opportunity to wick in the thread clearance.

I had some water leakage with silicone tape on Belden 9913-F7, I think because the braid weave "prints" onto the outside of the sheath. Since there is no adhesive with silicone tape I'm a little suspect of how water might capillary wick between it and what it is covering. For outer coverings and a sharp item protection (e.g. cotter pins in sailboat standing rigging or wire rope crimps) the self amalgamating Si tape is terrific.

Two lessons from that - stick with Buryflex and use Tacky Tape. I'm not sure of the UV longevity of T-T so cover it with Scotch 33 to be sure.

Grant KZ1W