Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: "John Geiger" <af5cc@fidmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:26:12 -0000
I think quite a few of us probably have stories like this. In the past couple of years I have run into a few hams on the local repeater who unfortunately are so concerned with getting the perfect antenna up that they have nothing up. A 20 meter dipole at 3 feet high will outperform a 20 meter dipole lying in the closet in a package because you can't get it at the optimal height.

My first VHF contest was run with my friend Dave, KA0GOA, who had picked up a Yaesu FT221 2 meter all mode rig. We ran a 5 element beam on a camera tripod in his basement. It was probably below ground level, but we worked 4 states on it. That was one of the last VHF contests that used states instead of grid squares for multipliers. I am sure it would model horribly, but we sure had a lot of fun doing it.

73 John AF5CC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>