Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 13:50:51 -0700
On 6/5/2013 1:33 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
Are you going to contend that dipoles don't work in city circumstances as
well?

Gee, I thought I made my point quite clearly at the very beginning of this thread. Perhaps you should re-read it. Indeed, I observed that a true dipole (defined by most textbooks as a CENTER FED antenna -- that is, two equal lengths) is a far better choice, because it can be choked effectively.

The problem is that the Windom is badly unbalanced, the feedline picks up noise, and it needs a serious common mode choke at the feedpoint to kill the noise. But because it is so badly unbalanced, there is a lot of common mode voltage across the choke, and a choke is likely to fry with high power.

There's an extensive discussion of this in my Power Point on Coaxial Chokes. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC