[TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:54:06 -0400
Off-center fed antennas are like half slopers. They work well in some
cases and work poorly in other cases, and it is difficult to predict which
result you might have until you try it.

It might be fair to say there are more environmental considerations for
these antennas than for a simple dipole or quarter-wave vertical.  All the
environmental aspects can make them difficult to model.  It is unfair to
say, flatly, that they are poor antennas.  ("Environmental" includes
things like grounding, chokes, bonding, height, feed-line angle, tuners,
etc, etc.)

(My half sloper works reasonably well; I had little luck with an
off-center fed dipole years ago.)

Bill - W2WO