Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:51:14 -0500

*******************
If upper sections also have locks, how is the disengagement cable that
operates the locks managed?  Since the tower gets taller, there would be a
lot of cable that needs to play out as it goes up.  How is that kept from
tangling up?

Chris

Chris, I have a rag sailor background and we lived aboard our sailboat for 9 years. As you can imagine, minding all the running rigging, ground tackle, etc. is not a trivial task and is important to get right and can be life threatening when fouled up.

A UV resistant very open weave cloth bag to hold the tail of a line (one per line) can be real handy. Rain water will not collect in it and permits moisture to dry out. You just stuff the long line tail into the bag in FILO fashion (First In Last Out) and when withdrawn from the bag it virtually always comes out freely with no tangles.

I can think of hands free systems to take up the slack and pay it out automatically but they look like they were designed by Rube Goldberg.

Patrick AF5CK