Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555

To: Julio Peralta <jperalta4@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:31:14 -0400
Hi, Brad and all,

I have two questions for the group...

I find myself in the same position as Brad a few months ago - I'm going to
be installing an HDX-555. Richard, W7ZR, seems to have implemented an easy
and inexpensive alternative to the MD-75 Motor Drive to raise and lower the
tower.

I'm tempted to forgo the $1,750 for the MD-75 and use a hand crank, then
upgrade to a winch motor as W7ZR did.
First question - Am I missing something important here?  Is this a safe,
commonly used method?

My next question is about the raising feature. Can someone give me a
clearance measurement between the tower leg and the maximum extension of
the winch handle on the raising fixture? My tower base is adjacent to the
wall of my house and I want to use the raising fixture if I have enough
clearance.

(Brad, what did you end up doing?)

Thanks, everyone for all the knowledge that I read in the archives that
keeps me from posting, but occasionally I have even more questions!

73,

Mickey N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Julio Peralta <jperalta4@verizon.net>wrote:

> It really scares me to crank a tower down/up without being in a position to
> watch it. That is a lot of metal moving and a lot of things could go wrong
> like the coax getting tangled in the wind and wrapping around the tower or
> worse.
>
> I agree the motor drive is a must have and I have the remote. The only time
> I would consider using the remote is if I wasn't home and some bad storm
> came up then I would tell my wife to lower the tower from inside.
>
> Julio, W4HY

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.