Re: [TowerTalk] LM-470 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LM-470 question
From: "Rob Salsgiver" <rob@quailsoftltd.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:03:55 -0700
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.  Like most questions, the
experiences vary.  It sounds like there are some with maybe tighter
tolerances that don't wiggle as much, but the prevailing experience seems to
suggest that it's not horribly abnormal with this (or other) crank-up
towers.

I will check the tabs at the bottom of the sections to see how much "play"
there is.. are there any recommendations one way or the other on possibly
adjusting these things?  I can do it, but I'm a little leery about pressing
them out if they're not designed to have that done to them.

As far as raising it to full extension - that is one thing that I did
notice.  When raising it I kept my hand on the switch and had to stop it
manually, as the upper limit switch didn't appear to work.  I'm going up the
ladder tomorrow with the wife on the switch to see whether it's mechanical
or electrical, and replace if needed.  I like the day-glo orange mark idea
though - thanks!

Great to have the list as a resource!

For those of you with an LM-470, I ended up replacing the motor.  The
original Baldor motors on both towers were kaput.  Replacements cost about
$408, but an equivalent Leeson cost just under $250.  Works like a champ.

Cheers,

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O