Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector (K8RI) Response from DAVIS RF Co.(Gold v

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector (K8RI) Response from DAVIS RF Co.(Gold vs. Silver
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:47:08 -0400
Hello TT'rs,

Thanks to Roger for recommending us, and to Bryan for clarifying that we are
not Davis Electric, but DAVIS RF (Roger has done biz with us, I am sure he
knows a Davis Electiric and just slipped)
www.DavisRF.com .   Contact me or call the 800 # if you don't see what you want
or need tech help.  We can not list all the product variances in wire, cable,
or connectors on our web site.

Couple of tech points:  We sell gold pin connectors (and we sell any and all
coax connector types that are produced) as there is a reasonable demand for
them.  But, I think that gold pins are
an overkill and often not needed depending on the application.  Silver (i.e.
silver plated nickel, the most always case for center pins) conducts a bit
better than gold .  I doubt you could ever notice any  difference in ham
applications using either one, if the connection is water proofed.   I don't
recall the exact terminology, otherwise incorrectly referred to as "silver
oxidation", but if silver is exposed to air and water, the residue will not
conduct appropriately whereas gold does not have the same issue.   Hope this
helps a bit.

ref RG 58:  I always suggest the more robust RG 8X  (actually not RG'd, but not
a big issue), if you can physically work with a .240" OD vs. the smaller RG 58.
  One reason being that there are over 12 varieties of RG 58 out there. It is
one of the most bastardized RG's on the market.  And, there is only one version
that has noticeably lower attenuation than the others which may be important
depending on the length and frequency (longer length = more attenuation.
Higher frequency = higher attenuation).  For years Shakespeare, the leading
mfr. of marine VHF antennas, used RG 58. I talked once to an engineer there and
made my observation of the better physical and electrical aspects of 8X.  He
didn't disagree but sort of insinuated ("if it ain't broken , don't fix it"....
better put in my mind, "if you have your foot and production mired in RG 58,
try not to consider those transmissions that failed due to physical aspects or
attenuation".   Funny how a few years later they switched to 8X (not claiming
at all that I was a factor in that, but who knows  HI)

So, which RG 58 is the one to choose, if you can't go with 8X?   I'll have to
get back to you on that.... we sell it, but I'm away on vacation and don't have
access to the specs.

I am looking for tech topics relative to wire, cable, RF connectors for a news
letter, if you have any suggestions/desires. You could email me directly on
those to avoid band width here.

73,  Steve Davis,  K1PEK, Snr. RF Cable Design Engr and Founder, DAVIS RF Co.
 Affiliate:   Davis Rope and Cable Assembly Co.      www. DavisRopeAndCable.com