[TowerTalk] Mast Steps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 04:19:22 -0700
###  why bother ?   What if you have 3 –4  ants on the mast..what a pita.
I made my mast steps out of  2 x 2 x 14 long Angle Aluminum,  .25inch thick
6061-T6.
Each mast step is attached to the 2 inch chromolly  mast  with  a single DXE
super mast clamp.
I cover the entire surface  of each step with that non skid stuff.... that
comes in 1-2-3 inch wide rolls.
The 2 inch stuff works superb.   I also  apply it  to the  vert portion of the
angle AL.   As an
added safety measure,  I installed  1/4-20  SS  bolts, one at each end of the
step.  They
stick UP aprx 1.5 inch.....and secured with a SS nylock.   Then I can feel em
with my boots..
so I know at all times where the end of the steps are..and not step into space
!   Ditto with
my hands when climbing.

##  My mast is  heat treated chromolly.... 2 inch OD  with a .375 inch thick
wall.   IF you have
a choice, I would use a 2.875 OD  1026 DOM mast.... or a 3.00 OD  4130
chromolly mast,
both in .25 thickness.   A  2.875 x .25 thick mast weighs the same 7 lbs per
foot as my
2 inch  x .375 thick chromolly mast... but is a helluva lot stronger, even
though the 1026 DOM
is only 89 ksi  vs  107 ksi for  my 2 inch chromolly mast.

##  Once a  2 inch OD  mast gets to .25 inch thick.... you are better off to go
to a bigger diam mast, instead
of a thicker mast.    Mast steps are not for everyone.   In my case,  with a
motorized crank up, its
a real pita to extend the tower to 55 ft, then remove the prop pitch..which is
6 feet down inside the tower. I also
have a 2nd thrust bearing, which is 4 ft down from the top of tower.  So 2 x
thrust bearing plates +
1 rotor plate to deal with.   Then loosen the mast clamps on a 150 lb, 40m
yagi, so the mast slides through it  etc.
Then pin the mast with the UST provided bolt, so the wind does not spin the top
ant around.

##  In my case, its too cumbersome to do what you propose.  However, on my old
Trylon tower, I did
exactly what you describe.  In that case, the mast used was 2.875 OD  with a
.276 wall..and was an
aluminum mast... 52 lbs.   Easy matter to lift the mast with the
cum-along...and remove the OR-2800 rotor, then
let the mast slide through the 20m yagi boom to mast clamps.   I wasn’t about
to do something stupid,
like climb an aluminum mast.

Jim   VE7RF