Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on Tower lifting cable broken strands

To: towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on Tower lifting cable broken strands
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:06:30 -0400 (EDT)
>  I am surprised that it would cost that much to have someone  replace the
cable.  US Towers recommends replacing cables every three  years, is it
that difficult to replace the cable on an uninstalled  tower?

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. While it  ain't rocket
science, it's also not easy. I've spent time at the UST factory and  had my
eyes
opened up on what it takes to do it.

    And the UST recommendation to replace the cables  every 3 years is a
weasel clause. That is, if you don't replace your cables  within 3 years and
something happens, UST can weasel out of any liability.   Tower manufacturers
are insurance driven enterprises and their main goal  (besides making lots
of money) is to have no risk or liability exposure. That's  why when you ask
them a question, you might not get any useful information.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
UST factory authorized installer