[TowerTalk] Interesting development

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Interesting development
From: "W5XB" <w5xb@att.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:10:29 -0400
Can stacking improve gain? That's an easy one, but wait .

Last week, I put a new Steppir 3 L together and put it on the roof (couldn't
get it up tower for the contest). It is 46 feet under a Force 20/40 at 67
feet. The Force 40m elements are nicely resonant on 15m and 10m.

While on 10 meters Saturday, I turned the Force and noted signal improvement
and worked 70+ Qsos.

Later, I looked at the coax switch, the whole time, I had been transmitting
on the Steppir set for 10m on the roof.oops, but it made a difference where
the Force was turned.I proved that 70 times.

After the contest Sunday, I turned the Force to EU and was listening to an
M0 on 20m. The Steppir elements were homed. Then I put the Steppir on 20m
and watched the S meter go up 3 s units.change in band conditions I thought,
so I homed the Steppir elements and found the M0 went down 3 s units.

I repeated homing the elements 3 times, and each time, the M0 went down in
signal strength.

What started as an oops, turned out to be an interesting experiment. The
passive elements without a direct connection improved received signal
strength, and transmit.

I have looked stacking since 1970 when I first got literature from Mike
Ercolino at Telrex and yearned for a Big Bertha.

But this.is interesting.thought I would share, my oops, and the interesting
development.

73s,

Grant

W5XB