Re: [TowerTalk] Interesting development

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interesting development
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:20:57 -0400
On 9/30/2013 9:37 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
We used to do something similar with commercial radios by putting a gain antenna outside and high use low loss transmission line to basement and interior spaces of large buildings where quarter wave pick up antennas were used to couple with handheld radios' antenna to talk out to a repeater.

My shop is lined with bonded barn metal so it is naturally a poor place to work the local repeater unless you stand in the right place in relation to
one of the two small windows.

So I decided to try the passive antenna route, Two Diamond duo band antennas. One on a 14' pole on the N side of the shop and another centrally located inside the shop. The outside antenna is normally hooked to the 144/440 rig in the shop. I connected the two with LMR-400. They absolutely did not work. Yet I could work the repeater connected only to either antenna directly with the HT

73

Roger (K8RI)