Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Inverted V - CW and SSB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Inverted V - CW and SSB
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:42:08 -0400
A classic Delta Loop fed in the corner and tuned for 3.6 Mhz does a very good job at 3.8 if the antenna is at least suspended 10 feet away from the top of the tower in an attempt to minimize interaction. The corner feed is close to 50 ohms, depending in height above ground, that direct feeding is possible with a current balun and consideration given to feedline dress away from the antenna field. I have put up several of these delta loops for 80 and always compared them in bandwidth to dipoles. The loop, I have found, is clearly the winner and also does a much better job as a weak signal low noise RX antenna using the 80 meter delta loop on 160 for listening only. Trying to pick up weak signals in a high noise environment on an 80 meter dipole for me is a waste of time. An 80 meter delta loop has made the difference between working a new country or not on 160 meters in the past. It certainly is not as good as a good Beverage but it can provide some interesting results in low band listening.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ