Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 23:10:02 -0800
On 11/4/2013 10:48 PM, Ray Benny wrote:
Has anyone done such a rewire of their control box to run the motor at 220
VAC with the remainder of the box running 110 VAC? All relays and delay
switches run on 110 VAC.

I don't know anything about the control box, but I know a lot about power wiring that might help you think through the schematic. Think of the power source as a center-tapped transformer with the neutral connected to the center tap -- 120-0-120 referenced to neutral. The controller must run between one side of 240V and neutral (not ground), and the motors must run between the two legs of 240

If the controller does nothing but sense position and drive relays that control the motors, it can run from 120V, while the motors run through the relays from 240V. In other words, the control side (the logic and relay coils) are running from 120V (one side to the neutral) and the motor is running from 240v (120 - 120) through the relay contacts.

It may also be possible that the controller has dual primary windings so that you can switch the controller so that its power transformer has a 240V secondary, which could simplify things. In that situation, you don't connect the neutral. No matter what, we must connect the grounds (green wires) for safety, but we cannot use the ground (green wire) to carry current, even the small current for the controller. You're covered, because you've pulled a neutral for that purpose.

73, Jim K9YC