Re: [TowerTalk] Limited space for 80 and 50

To: <ve4xt@mymts.net>, "Jim in Waco wb5oxq" <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Limited space for 80 and 50
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:46:22 -0600
I agree that the dipole/Zepp is worth rescue. I would consider trying 450 or 600 ohm line.

Ideally balanced antennas should be perfectly balanced, but in my experience you can tolerate a lot of slop and still have an excellent antenna. Which is to say you don't need to achieve "perfect" balance. The more balanced the better, but there is a lot of tolerance in the system.

With the feedline, close proximity to metal objects should be avoided (by at least a foot...more distance is better), sharp bends in the direction of the feedline should be avoided. Twist of the feedline is OK, provided it doesn't fold back on itself. If a small portion of the antenna or feedline is close to large metal objects (metal roof, window sash, etc.) it is probably OK. Where large sections of the antenna or feedline are in close proximity to metal objects, this needs to be changed.

Antenna tuners which claim to handle "balanced lines" should be looked at with some skepticism. Most commercial tuners are not truly balanced (both sides should be above ground potential), and if your antenna network has impedance issues, a T or L tuner may not help things. There are a number of true balanced tuners: Rich Measures had an article for a homebrew one, and the EFJ "Matchbox" tuners are link coupled balanced devices. I think there a few manufacturers who make true balanced tuners today.

Sometimes a slight change in the length of the open wire feedline will help "tune" the antenna network and achieve better balance (see Cebik articles).

Sometimes a balun or coax choke does not accomplish what is expected of it.

If you are having feedline radiation which is getting into consumer devices, it is a sign that the antenna NETWORK is out of balance.

While a vertical is a good addition to any antenna farm, so is your dipole...I'd take a look at what is causing the problem before tearing it down.

GL es 73

Dan
K0DAN

-----Original Message----- From: ve4xt@mymts.net