Re: [TowerTalk] More crank-up questions

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More crank-up questions
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:55:58 -0500
I am curious.  All this talk about concrete strength, rebar, etc.   Is anyone
aware of a tower base failure due to strength of the concrete or lack of rebar?
 (Except for damage from a lightning strike.)  From what I hear, the vast
majority of tower failures are 20-30' above the base.  Base failures? Are they
really an issue?

As I mentioned, 40 years ago, little was said about base concrete, rebar, etc.
 OTOH, 40 years ago, 60' was a big tower.  Maybe that's part of the issue.

Ken WA8JXM