Re: [TowerTalk] from towers to shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] from towers to shack
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:55:53 -0800
On 12/9/13 8:08 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:35 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I wonder why transorbs and gas discharge tubes are not commonly used to
protect control lines in ham radio installations?  The $135 Polyphaser
IS-RCT just has eight inexpensive MOVs inside.  I used GDTs on one
rotator
where I got tired of replacing leaky MOVs and it has worked fine for
over a
year and though one direct lightning strike.

Gas discharge tubes have too high a breakover voltage to protect most
solid state devices.
They are fine for most rotator controls.

Yeah, but bidirectional solid state TVSS devices are available at voltages down to about 5V, and they're pretty much the same price.