Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:04:10 -0800
Another important point. Many antennas, especially dipoles that are either high or over lousy ground, are a MUCH closer match to 75 ohms than to 50 ohms. I'm using 75 ohm coax (Belden 8213) on my high dipoles, which are at 120 ft over LOUSY ground. Measured Z at resonance is about 85 ohms.

This fall, I modeled (in NEC) and built dipoles for 80M and 40M for a CQP county expedition. Our QTH is rocky/sandy, really lousy ground, and we managed to get the the dipoles up 40 ft. NEC predicted a feedpoint Z of about 76 ohms, and once they were up in the air, we measured 1:1 at the end of a short length of 75 ohm cable.

Low dipoles over GOOD ground tend to be closer to 50 ohms. We don't have much of that in the mountains.

73, Jim K9YC