Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott

To: "dave arruzza" <w1ctn@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:12:58 -0700
I've installed the Slipp-Nott on a tower at the ROTOR with a 4el SteppIr
and a M2 6M5 above that. I wasn't impressed with it and wouldn't use one
myself. However, the theory behind the clamp is solid AND the rotor to
mast section never slipped. I do believe it took out the rotor though.
That rotor needs to be replaced now. This was for a customer here in
Southern CA.

Recently another customer had a SteppIr 3-el with the folded dipole,
slip. I replaced the 5/16" x 2" muffler clamps with DX Engineering's
3/8" x 2" saddle clamps. I used the 3/8" clamps because the DXE 5/16"
clamps are narrower than the muffler clamps. All I had to do was drill
out the holes to 3/8 and the DXE clamps slipped right in the original
muffler clamp holes!

Its MY opinion that ALL antenna manufacturers that are still using
muffler clamps should STOP that and use DXE saddle clamps. Charge $10
more for the antenna if you have to, its WORTH it!

This one-for-one change out of clamps was enough to eliminate any
slippage. Some larger antennas I've worked on had 4 clamps. If two
doesn't work, install 4! Just make sure you install DXE Saddle clamps!

Dino - KX6D