Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete prices

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete prices
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:58:11 -0500
On Dec 25, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:

> When I was younger and on the farm, it seemed like nearly every farm had a
> mixer, and piles of gravel and sand. We'd purchase the cement by 80 or 90
> pound bags.  It was so many shovel of sand so many gravel and so many of
> cement. add water to the desired consistency. IIRC we'd have tho shoveling
> in, one on the wheelbarrow for sand and gravel and one or two hauling it to
> where ever.  Then there were those leveling and troweling. For a tower base,
> the mixer could set at one edge of the hole so you'd shovel in, mix, and
> dump!  It went fairly fast, but the set up and clean up took almost as long
> as the work.
>
> I no longer remember how many shovels full of each and with only one working
> hand I don't think of that as a viable approach anyway.<:-))

I believe it is a 3-2-1 mixture:  3 shovels of gravel, 2 of sand, and 1 of
cement.    I did my first tower that way (4'x4'x'4') mixed by hand in a
wheelbarrow with a hoe. It took two days.     The second time I put it up, I
rented an electric mixer.   Both of those were 40 years ago when I was younger
;-)

73, Ken WA8JXM